Belt lipectomy is a type of surgery. It’s done to remove the loose skin and fat around your waist or “belt line.” This is also called an abdominal lipectomy, tummy tuck, and panniculectomy. You may have this surgery after you lose a great deal of weight. This is often done after weight-loss surgery
What happens during a belt lipectomy?
- An anesthesiologist will give you general anesthesia. This is done so you will sleep through the procedure and won’t feel anything. In rare cases, you will get spinal anesthesia and a medicine to relax you. You will be awake is this case.
- The anesthesiologist will carefully watch your heart rate, blood pressure, and other vital signs.
- You will get antibiotics during and after the surgery. This is to help prevent infection.
- The surgeon will make a cut where your buttocks and lower back come together. This is done to remove extra skin and tissue.
- The surgeon continues the cut on your front lower belly. He or she also removes the extra skin and tissue from there. You may need to be repositioned on the operating table.
What happens after a belt lipectomy?
- When you wake up, you may have a tube underneath your skin. This will drain fluid that builds up in your wound. You may have some pain afterward. You can take pain medicines. You should be able to eat a normal diet once you are ready.
- You may need to stay overnight in the hospital after your surgery. Some people may be able to go home the same day as surgery. But this isn’t common.
- Your surgeon will tell you how to care for your wounds. Tell your surgeon if you have severe draining, redness, or a fever. If you have life-threatening symptoms, call 911. These include sudden shortness of breath, a lot of bleeding, or chest pain.
- Your surgeon will also tell you how to limit your movements after surgery. You shouldn’t expose your wounds to too much force as they heal. Follow all of your surgeon’s orders carefully. This will improve your chances of a smooth recovery.
- You will see the results of your surgery right away. They will last if you keep a stable weight. If you are not happy with the results of your surgery, talk with your surgeon. Some people need another surgery for best results.